Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Contest: My Favorite Christmas Gift (post #2)

The very best Christmas gift I ever received was an impossible one -  a gift that did not exist from a person who could no longer give. But it was the most precious present anyone has ever given me.

Early in our marriage my husband and I were getting ready for a garage sale. I had a sewing room in the screened-in breezeway between the house and garage, but we knew I had way too much fabric and remnants. It wasn't as bad as the TV show "Hoarders" but Mike decided to help me cut down my inventory. 

When I opened one box filled with cream colored yarn, Mike asked if I had plans to knit or crochet it. I had always hoped to, but the yarn had never made it out of the box. When he suggested we get rid of it I suddenly burst into tears. My mom had promised to make me an afghan years earlier but her Alzheimers interfered - all I had left was the box of yarn. I told Mike to just take care of getting rid of it for me - it was too painful.

After the sale I figured the yarn must have sold, but actually my sly-but-sweet husband had hidden it in the back of our car. He asked around and found a lady from our church who loved to crochet. Ginny spent months secretly making it into an afghan and then on Christmas Mike presented it to me at our family Christmas, along with a note he had written as what Mom would say to me if she was no longer lost to Alzheimers. 

I often use that blanket these days when I take a Sunday afternoon nap, and it wraps me up in the love of so many people: my mom, my husband and Ginny.  Ginny also made up a pillow cover as well as a miniature afghan just big enough for my daughter Kate's doll cradle. 

Remember - tomorrow is the last day for my "Favorite Christmas Gift Contest" - just post a comment here on my blog (not just on FB) about your favorite Christmas gift and you could win a set of three hand tatted Christmas ornaments. The contest closes tomorrow night - so get that post up!

Looking forward to your comments-

Sandy Kay Salsbury
P.S. Special thanks go out to Ginny Lee... I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Sandy...I am speechless and tear filled....What a treasure that was...I am not sure if you know my mom was blind the last several yeas of her life. S
    he made so many afghans late in her life. Her fingers knew the way...I have a cream colored one as well. It is the last one she made prior to her major loss of eyesight. I would never part with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Christmas morning, when my daughter was about seven years old, she handed my husband and me envelopes. Inside were pictures cut out from magazines and catalogs of things she knew we would like. Talk about "it's the thought that counts!" She has always had a loving and giving heart. My envelope had pictures of dishes with apples on them. :)

    ReplyDelete