Sunday, June 3, 2012

Taking Time and Making Musical Memories

As I mentioned in previous posts, my daughter and I just got back from a road trip to see friends and family in Ohio and Michigan. The first and last days were long travel days of 13-14 hours each. Surprisingly, those days were some of my very favorite of our trip because Kate and I had long leisurely conversations as we tooled down the highway. We found ourselves sharing stories or viewpoints that never seemed to come out in our daily routines at home.

Another highlight of our trip was singing together with all seven of the Salsbury women: grandma, aunts, cousins, and daughters. I pitched the idea to everyone and they all thought it would be fun. We rehearsed less than an hour on Friday, ran through the piece once on Saturday and again on Sunday before we sang. It sounded lovely, and I was so very proud of how everyone helped each other find their parts.

Both the trip itself and the ladies septet were memories we'll never forget, but I think about how I almost didn't do either because I was "too busy". If Kate hadn't put together the trip plan, I wouldn't have planned the ladies special, and all of us would have missed out.

I realized that I have been guilty of letting life just happen to me instead of planning to make time for some simple memories.Life is too short to just react to what the world throws at me; I need to set aside some time to recharge with other people.

Before we know it, the summer will have flown by and school will be starting again. Make a point of setting up some time with your children one-on-one with you. Set up a lunch or Saturday afternoon with a friend. Make some simple memories - and you'll be glad you did.

Attached is the link to the Salsbury Ladies singing "The Solid Rock". Enjoy - we sure did!





No comments:

Post a Comment