Saturday, June 2, 2012

Trust Yourself...and Trust Your God

Recently I had the delightful privilege of making the acquaintance of my great-niece Alexi Joy. Holding her and gazing into her sweet face, I was reminded of how I loved holding my own baby (who is now 25!). I also remembered how often I battled worries that I wasn't a "good enough" mother. When I finally blurted out my concerns to some wise older soul, she shared a wonderful perspective: God had chosen me to be the mother of my child, and that meant that He would give me everything I needed to be the best mom for my baby. I wasn't so very sure about it at the time, but it has proven to be true.

When an actor is cast in a role, it is up to the director and production staff to provide everything the actor needs to perform his role; giving him a script, fitting him with his costume, telling him how and where to move, and even giving him a stage on which to perform. Just the same way, our Heavenly Father puts us in roles that He wants us to perform, and He provides all we need as well to make the production a success. 

Maybe there is some new role in your life you are currently facing: new motherhood, a different job, finding a new identity after being a caregiver for a parent, dealing with unemployment, or being an empty nester. New roles  are usually challenging and sometimes intimidating. After years of teaching school, I suddenly found myself working in professional theatre. Four years later my husband went to grad school and I was hired to do live television. A couple years into that, my job description changed and I found myself doing copywriting and marketing as well. Now that my husband has graduated with his MFA (Master of Fine Arts) in Acting and Directing, we are unsure what the next assignment will be. I can't say I am thrilled about yet one more move but I know that if God calls us to do it, He will provide what we need.

In whatever role the Lord has currently cast you, please know that He is mindful of who you are and is confident that you will succeed at the task He has given you. Trust yourself and trust the One who calls you.





No comments:

Post a Comment