Sunday, November 13, 2011

Better Than Fairy Dust: Bestowing Blessing

When I was a little kid I loved watching movies and TV shows that had a happy ending. I especially loved princess stories like the Lesley Ann Warren musical version of "Cinderella" and adventures like "Peter Pan". Cinderella had Celeste Holm as a marvelous fairy godmother, and Peter Pan (and Tinker Bell) had fairy dust that helped you fly. Every time the fairy dust touched someone, they became a happier person with nice things happening to them. I remember coveting Tink's little bag of fairy dust and wondered what one had to do to get a fairy godmother (I didn't even have a plain godmother, unlike my Catholic friends). I never did get a FGM, in case you were wondering (though I did get my Prince Charming -  which is another post another day).


We all long for something that makes us feel special and transforms our everyday lives into something extraordinary. Fortunately, that can happen without fairy dust or a fairy godmother: all we need are words of blessing. When I am around people, I ask the Lord if there is something He wants me to say to them.  It doesn't have to be much or highly profound. It can be as simple as "May you have a blessed day" or "May the Lord give you extra joy in your work today."  It's not being artificially cheery, but rather being sensitive to what someone needs to hear.


At work I have to send out a report at 10 a.m. every day to the same group of people, some in my office and some far away. I used to write, "Here is the daily report for ____" but it seemed so boring. Over a year ago I started adding a blessing to the report each day. Here are just a few examples.
  • "Whatever is your deepest need today, may you feel the Lord meeting you there."
  • "May you be aware of the Heavenly Father's attention to your every need today. He is honored when we ask."
  • May you be a conduit of blessing to unexpected needs around you today."
  • "May the Lord bless you with a healthy dose of humor today. A merry heart does good like a medicine!"
  • "May a fresh dose of peace rule in your heart today."
The key is being genuine and spirit-led in what you say or write, sensitive to God's promptings. I have been encouraged by all the notes I get back, saying that a particular day's blessing was exactly what someone needed.  I don't do this with all my email or every time I see someone in the hall, but I do ask the Lord to make me sensitive to those who need encouragement.


Your words may not make someone fly, but they can certainly lighten a heart - and sometimes the right words can send someone's spirits soaring. I guess that means you can have your fairy dust back now, Tink.

No comments:

Post a Comment