Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Dubious Explanation of Feng Shui

Yesterday someone sent me one of those emails where it promises you that you will be very lucky because this is November and this particular one has five Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays (first time in 843 years). That apparently means this is the month of Moneybags (according to Chinese tradition of Feng Shui) and that if I sent the email to a certain number of friends I would be lucky. Well, I never forward those things so I must not be lucky, but I am perfectly happy being blessed instead.

The mention of feng shui (pronounced Fung Schway) got me thinking, though. I know it has to do with some harmony of spirit and the earth, and therefore the way buildings and rooms are set up are supposed to have some kind of balance, according to this Chinese religion.

I'm rather dubious of the whole concept of Feng Shui (pronounced Fehng Shway) so I came up with a personal theory about that. I think Feng was probably a Chinese man who was weary of moving around the furniture in his house every time his wife felt like rearranging things. One night he came home a bit inebriated to find his wife wanting to switch around the furniture yet again. He put his foot down and said that there was only one right way to arrange the furniture and it was his way – “Feng’s Way”. Over the years other husbands told their wives the same thing and said it was all Feng’s fault. Eventually people just said something was “Feng Shui” whenever they wanted to do something without being argued with. And that is the origin of Feng Shui.

All kidding aside, I find it so intriguing that people are always looking for some philosophy or belief to hang their hat on. Even the ones who say there is no order to the universe still hold the belief that there is no overarching purpose (and that in itself is a philosophy).

I used to really wonder what was true (or even if there was such a thing as truth), and the only way I came to any peace was by asking God to show Himself to be real in my life. God never refuses an invitation like that, and He is the only reason I have peace in this rocky little boat I call my life.

What are you building your life upon? You have to believe in something - and God is the only One who could fulfill that longing I had for so long. Post what you think - i'd love to dialog with you.

Have a good evening - this has been post #2 in my series of 30 November posts. See you tomorrow.

Sandy Kay Salsbury

No comments:

Post a Comment