Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Prayer Triggers

A prayer trigger is something that reminds me to pray, and I need all the help I can get. I used to feel terribly guilty when someone would ask me to put them on my "prayer list" because invariably I would completely forget to pray.

A prayer trigger solves that for me by using my own struggles to trigger me to pray for someone else's need. When I am struggling with discouragement, I find a sister who is also in the same boat. I choose to pray for her encouragement every time I feel that ol' discouragement heading my way. She chooses to do the same for me, and before we know it, God answers both our prayers.

Prayer triggers do several things:
  • They get my mind off myself and my problems
  • They help me focus on someone else
  • They keep me in tune with the Holy Spirit
  • They help me gain victory over areas of temptation (If I turn every temptation into a time of intercession, I'm going to stop being tempted in that area)
I spoke with a friend of mine whose husband was just laid off this week and needs to find a new job as soon as possible. She knows I am concerned about my husband finding a teaching job after he finishes grad school in May, so we have agreed to pray for each other. It's already made a difference in my own outlook for the future. I think that's what the Bible means when it says to bear one another's burdens. 

Let me know if there's something I can be praying about for you. 

Blessings on you and yours,
Sandy Kay Salsbury


No comments:

Post a Comment