Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Overcoming Chocolate: the Power of Pain

If anyone had ever told me that I would give up chocolate, I would have bonked them on the head with a huge Hershey bar, picked up the pieces and then sat down to eat it. I had my favorite chocolates: Ghiradelli, Godiva, Dove bars, Hershey kisses, Cheesecake Factory's Tuxedo cake, and all manner of chocolate mousse, pudding and ganache. I actually researched to find the very best brownie recipe and took it to almost every potluck I ever attended, rarely having any left to bring home. I loved chocolate milk,hot chocolate, and even frozen hot chocolate. I knew it wasn't good for me to eat so much chocolate, but darn it all - I loved it: the rich aroma, texture, and taste... and the mellow feeling after it hit my brain.

But something changed all that. Last May I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis (known as IC), which means that certain foods cause me to have excruciating pain (think of the worst urinary infection you've ever had but make it last for-ev-er...). Yeah - that's IC.For more about IC, go to: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/interstitial-cystitis.cfm

Chocolate, caffeine, and most spices make the pain flare, along with anything slightly acidic: all fruits (except blueberries, Gala apples, honeydew melon and pears), anything with vinegar (salad dressings, ketchup, mustard, mayo), soy (soy sauce, soy milk, most snack bars), fermented (most cheeses, yogurt, wine), carbonated or with artificial sweeteners (farewell, Diet Coke - I knew thee well). Anything the least bit spicy like Mexican food, a lot of Chinese dishes, or Cajun is out, as well as Italian because of the tomatoes and onions. When I go to a restaurant I hate to order because I have to be very specific about what I can have. I usually just ask for a chicken breast or a steak "seasoned only with salt". The servers are usually very helpful, but sometimes the cooks don't understand and send out something I can't eat.

I have to admit there have been times in my life when I have known acquaintances who had special dietary needs, and inwardly I was less than compassionate, assuming they were just being high maintenance. How my hard heart must have grieved the heart of God. There is nothing like personal experience coupled with pain to open your eyes to a new perspective.

Giving up chocolate has been a lot easier than I ever dreamed - when the choice is a piece of Godiva or pain, Godiva can just go riding on by. I'm learning that I can be a lot more disciplined than I thought in other areas, too - sin of any kind is really not worth the pain.

My purpose in this post is not to complain - I just wanted to share the lessons I'm learning, even if I am a slow learner. I also wanted to share my brownie recipe - please enjoy it for me!

Sandy's Favorite Fudgy Cocoa Brownies

1/2 cup butter 1 tsp vanilla
6 TB cocoa powder 1/2 cup flour
6 TB oil 1/4 tsp salt
1 cup white sugar 3/4 cup water
2 eggs 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a medium size glass mixing bowl, melt butter in the microwave (be sure to cover - it spits!). Mix in oil and cocoa. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla; then stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in a greased 9x9 pan (if you double the recipe, it will fit a 13x9 pan). Bake just until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of the pan (about 20-25 minutes - more if doing a double batch). Cool and frost with chocolate buttercream icing or sift some powdered sugar over the top.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Although this is a heart felt sharing of obedience and overcoming personal desires in favor of good health, I would just like to say that I really can't picture you bonking someone on the head, and I am glad it never cane to that :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. *came (quite unintenional on the misspelling) - you didn't cane anyone instead of bonking, did you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate can do strange things to people -though you are correct that I probably wouldn't bonk or cane anyone. There are plenty of inanimate objects that are bonk-worthy.

    ReplyDelete