Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sandpaper People Who Rub Me The Wrong Way


  • The guy who drives on the shoulder and then cuts in front of you
  • The woman with 20 items in the 12 item express lane at the grocery
  • The telephone customer service agent who won't listen to your problem
  • The relative who comes to family dinners and never lifts a finger to help
  • The neighbor who drones on and on about all the trials in her life

 Got any "sandpaper people" in your life? You know the type: the kind that rub you the wrong way the minute you see them coming. The ones with little irritating behaviors that just drive you up.the.wall. Or with big grating attitudes that bring out the "spirit of slap" (as in you just want to slap them).

I like to think I am loving and that I act charitably toward everyone, but I must admit that there are types of people who add a large dollop of instant exasperation to my life whenever I see them coming. Some of their traits include being:

  • rude
  • crude
  • opinionated  
  • crass
  • vain
  • unsympathetic
  • impatient
  • unkind
  • cruel
  • proud
  • devious
  • dishonest
  • untrustworthy
  • single-mindedly selfish
  • hateful 
  • mean-spirited 
  • insensitive
  • argumentative
  • stubborn
  • hard hearted
  • grudge-holding
In my experience, I've noticed two reasons God allows sandpaper people in my life:
  1. To show me my own rough edges.Someone once said that the traits I most dislike in others are often because they are traits I possess to some degree, and the other person reminds me of my own failings. I have to admit I have often found that to be true. 
  2. To show me who to pray for.On many occasions I have felt my blood pressure rise as I was "stuck" standing in a checkout line with a rude opinionated complainer. I would raise my eyes to the heavens with a "Why me?" only to hear a gentle "Pray for them - no one else is and they need it." As I began to pray, I would gain compassion for them and my frustration would melt away.
Next time a sandpaper person rubs you the wrong way, try praying for them. You may well be the only person who does.


No comments:

Post a Comment