Friday, November 4, 2011

Saving Graces


It happens more frequently than I care to admit. I’m in a group of people and suddenly I do or say something embarrassing or awkward. Clumsy or clueless or whatever – I have somehow separated myself from the pack in a not-so-good way and I pray beyond hope that no one else has noticed. As the room grows unnaturally silent, I freeze with the realization that everyone witnessed my gaffe, and brace myself for the first scathing critique sure to come, the first person to throw a sharp-edged verbal stone.

But I won’t go down so easily. With a snap my head comes up and I attempt an unnaturally bright fake smile. “Oh, how silly of me! I can’t believe I did that…” and I attempt to brazen my way out of the situation by criticizing myself before anyone else can. Somehow it feels like it won’t hurt so much that way. But it does.


 Why is it we are all waiting for someone to pounce - to point out our flaws or pick apart our carefully crafted public personas? Sometimes I am not the unlucky one who dropped her tea cup or made a stupid comment, but I know how she feels. I cringe with her, dreading the judgment of the group.


But then something marvelous happens. Someone reaches out a hand and murmurs soft words like, "Here, let me help you," and everything changes. The focus of the group shifts to something else and the danger has passed.
What just happened? Grace. Rather than reach out in judgment, someone has gently redirected the focus away from whatever gaffe was done.


Many of us are quick to give grace to others but are oh so reluctant to give it to ourselves. I used to mentally berate myself for things I said or did, and if I had spoken to another person that same way, it might be considered verbal abuse. 
We belong to our Heavenly Father, who created us in His image. Listen to your inner dialog with yourself. Are you highly self-critical? Rather than harping at yourself for your flaws, try extending a hand of grace - to yourself. 


"Love your neighbor as yourself" is a well known verse, but most people don't realize that you cannot truly love others until you have loved yourself. Do you want to be loving toward others? Start with yourself, and the rest will follow.

                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment